Neapolitan Herb Tomato Crostinis with Whipped Feta
A simple recipe to "whip up" as an appetizer for entertaining. The tomato notes of the Extra Virgin Olive Oil enhance the fresh flavours of the tomato topping. Instead of crostinis, this would also work great as an addtion to a wrap or pita for a picnic lunch.
- 200g feta, crumbled
- 1/3 cup cream cheese, room temperature
- 2/3 cup Della Terra Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil, divided (plus extra for crostinis)
- 2 tbsps lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 900g cherry/grape tomatoes, assorted varieties
- 2 shallots, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tbsps Della Terra Neapolitan Herb Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 tbsps fresh basil, slivered (plus extra for serving)
- 2 baguettes, sliced diagonally (1/2” thickness)
- 2 tbsps toasted pine nuts (optional)
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
Neapolitan Herb Tomatoes
Combine shallots, garlic, and Della Terra Neapolitan Herb Balsamic in medium bowl. Set aside for 5 minutes. Slowly whisk in 1/3 cup Della Terra Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Gently stir in tomatoes. Season with salt and peper to taste. Be cautious with salt as the feta mixture is salty as well. Stir in fresh basil. The topping can be made one hour in advance.
Combine feta and cream cheese in the bowl of a food processor fit with the steel blade. Pulse until blended. Add 1/3 cup of Extra Virgin Olive Oil and lemon juice. Process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Preheat oven to 425ºF. Lightly brush each side of crostini with Extra Virgin Olive Oil and place on parchment covered baking sheet. Toast bread for 3-4 minutes per side until slightly crisp.
Right before serving, generously spread whipped feta mixture on each crostini. Use a slotted spoon to scoop tomato topping over each portion. Place on a wooden cutting board or tray for serving and sprinkle with slivered basil leaves and pine nuts.