- 4 cups Yukon Gold potatoes (about 5-6), sliced 1/2″ thick
- 2 large leeks, finely chopped (about 3 cups)
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 2 shallots or 1 small yellow sweet onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup Della Terra Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 tsps. Della Terra Herbes De Provence Olive Oil
- 4-5 sprigs fresh thyme or ½ tbsp dried thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 4-5 cups vegetable stock
- ¼ cup whipping cream or stock
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- finely chopped chives for serving
Heat Arbequina Extra Virgin Olive Oil in a heavy bottom saucepan or dutch oven over medium heat. Add garlic, onions, shallots, and chopped leeks. Stir to begin softening veg. Cook for 5-6 minutes. Try to prevent the vegetables from browning too much so that soup will retain a light colour.
Add thyme, bay leaves, potatoes, and vegetable stock and bring to a boil, stirring gently. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer soup for 15-20 minutes, until potatoes are fork tender and softened.
Remove thyme sprigs (if using) and bay leaves. Use a blender or immersion blender to puree the soup. You may need to do in multiple batches. If using a blender, return the soup to the pot. Stir whipping cream into the blended soup and adjust seasoning to taste. If soup is too thick for your liking, begin adding ½ cup increments of vegetable stock, stirring to blend, until desired consistency is reached.
Finish soup in warmed bowls with a sprinkle of finely chopped chives and a drizzle of Herbes de Provence Olive Oil. For a heartier dish, top with chopped crispy bacon and shredded cheddar cheese.