- 2 tbsp. Della Terra Tuscan Herb Oil
- 2 cups finely diced onion
- 1 can (28 oz.) tomatoes, with juice, chopped
- 1 green pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 2 slices dry bread
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 1 lb. lean ground pork
- 4 oz. smoked ham, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup green pitted olives, chopped
- 1 strip lemon zest, finely chopped
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 eggs, well beaten with a pinch of salt
- ¾ cup of flour
- ½ cup Della Terra Chipotle Olive Oil
- ¾ cup dry sherry or ¼ cup Della Terra Pedro Ximenez Sherry Balsamic
In a large skillet, warm Della Terra Tuscan Herb Olive Oil over medium heat. Reduce heat and add onion and green pepper, stirring occasionally, for 15-20 minutes or until soft. Add tomatoes (with juice), salt and sugar to skillet. Bring to boil and stir. Reduce heat to a simmer, stirring occasionally for 20 minutes or until reduced.
Meanwhile, prepare meatballs. Place bread on a plate and cover with lemon juice. Let sit until juice is absorbed. Squeeze bread until relatively dry.
In a food processor, combine bread, pork, ham, olives, lemon zest and salt. Process, pulsating on and off, until well combined. Be careful not to over-process. Scrape mixture into a mixing bowl. Shape into small meatballs - the size of hazelnuts. Roll in beaten egg and then flour.
In a heavy non-stick skillet, warm Della Terra Chipotle Olive Oil over medium heat. Cook meatballs in batches, shaking pan back and forth, for 3 minutes or until evenly browned. If there is a large quantity of fat in the skillet, pour off and discard.
Add sherry or Della Terra Pedro Ximenez Sherry Balsamic to tomato sauce and pour sauce over meatballs. Allow mixture to come to a boil. Reduce heat and cook for 5 minutes, or until meatballs are cooked through and sauce is thickened. Serve immediately or at room temperature.
Prep: 25 minutes
Cook time: 1 hour
Makes: 8 servings
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.