- 3 lbs. boneless chicken thighs cut into 2" pieces
- 3 large onions finely minced
- 1 tablespoon finely grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole mustard seed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole cumin seed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 5 curry leaves (optional)
- 2 tablespoons garam masala
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon Della Terra Garlic Olive Oil
- 3 tablespoons Della Terra Harissa Olive Oil (can substitute for Della Terra Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Peperoncino Oil)
- 1 tablespoon Della Terra Honey Ginger White Balsamic or Della Terra Honey Pepper Balsamic
- 1/2 cup chicken stock - low sodium
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup cilantro
- 2 thinly sliced chili peppers (optional)
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mustard seed, cardamon and cumin seeds. Sautee until the seeds begin to pop. Add onions and cook until well browned, about 8 minutes
Add the ginger, garam masala, turmeric and garlic olive oil to the skillet stirring well until combined. Add chicken, tomatoes, stock, a cup of water, and honey ginger white balsamic. Add salt and pepper and allow to simmer gently for 30 minutes until the curry has reduced and thickened a bit.
Taste and adjust the seasoning.
Serve over steamed basmati rice with cilantro and thinly sliced serrano chilies as garnish.