- 2 cups green lentils
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 medium onion, cut in half
- 1 medium carrot, quartered
- 6 cups water, with salt to taste
- ¼ cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- ½ English cucumber, finely diced
- 1 red bell pepper, finely diced
- ½ cup Roasted Pistachios
- Freshly ground pepper
For the Dressing:
- 2 tablespoons Della Terra Sicilian Lemon White Balsamic
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 shallot, minced
- ⅓ cup Della Terra Roasted Pistachio Oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
Combine the lentils, garlic, bay leaf, onion, carrot and water in a large saucepan or Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Add salt to taste (1 to 2 teaspoons), reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer 35 to 45 minutes until the lentils are tender. Remove from the heat and discard the onion, carrot, garlic cloves and bay leaf. Drain, reserving the liquid.
Place lentils in a large bowl.
In a small bowl, whisk together the Sicilian Lemon White Balsamic, Dijon mustard, shallots, and salt. Whisk in the Roasted Pistachio Oil and 2 to 4 tablespoons of the liquid from the lentils. Stir into the lentils. Add the parsley, cucumber, red pepper, pistachios and ground pepper. Garnish with a parsley leaf. Serve warm or allow lentils to cool before serving.
Cook: 35 - 45 minutes
Makes: 4 - 6 servings