Fresh, robust olive oil adds a ton of flavour to this simple to prepare pasta recipe. A perfect weeknight meal.
- 1 pound freshly ground pork (or beef or turkey)
- 2 cups mixed mushrooms, finely diced
- 1/2 cup Pecorino cheese, grated
- 2 large shallots, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely diced
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 2 cups red wine
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 2" sprig fresh thyme
- salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup robust Della Terra Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Della Terra White Truffle Oil
- 1 pound dried rigatoni, penne or other short cut pasta that will hold the sauce, cooked with water reserved
In a large, heavy bottom pot heat the robust Della Terra Premium Extra Virgin Olive Oil over medium-high heat. Add the pork and brown well, breaking the meat up in to the smallest pieces possible, for about 5 minutes. Remove the meat to a bowl and reserve. To the same pot add mushrooms and sauté until caramelized, about 5 minutes, scraping up any bits of browned meat, and stirring occasionally.
Add shallots, carrot, and celery and sauté for another two minutes. Add garlic and sauté for another minute. De-glaze the pan with red wine and reduce by half. Add tomatoes and thyme and reduce heat to low and cover. Cook at barely a simmer, covered, over low heat, for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Add a few tablespoons of stock or water to the sauce if it loses too much moisture.
Taste the sauce and adjust seasoning with sea salt and freshly ground pepper.
Add the just drained, al dente pasta to the pot with the sauce and continue to cook the pasta along with a tablespoon or so of the pasta water. Cook for one minute, stirring to completely sauce the pasta.
Portion pasta in to servings and top each with fresh grated Pecorino cheese, a drizzle of Della Terra Truffle Oil. Serve immediately.
Makes 6 servings