This Greek soup has all of the elements of a perfect comfort meal. Chicken, lemon, egg and rice and a bit of heat are guaranteed to cure what ails you! If you're not keen on the spicy heat, then replace the Green Chili Oil with our Lemon Olive Oil.
- 8 cups good quality chicken stock or broth
- 1 cup short grain, starchy rice
- 2 large shallots, or 1 medium onion diced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 large fresh eggs
- 1 pound chicken breast, cut into 1” cubes
- 1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup + 2 tbsp Della Terra Green Chili Olive Oil
- lots of fresh cracked black pepper and sea salt to taste
In a large stock pot, heat 2 tablespoons Green Chili Olive Oil over medium heat. Add the diced shallots and sauté until soft, approximately 2 minutes. Add the chicken stock, chicken breast, bay leaf, and rice to the pot and bring to a simmer for approximately 30 minutes, or until the rice is very tender, and the soup is slightly thickened.
In a heat proof bowl whisk together the eggs and lemon juice. Add one cup of hot stock to the egg and lemon mixture, whisking constantly. Add the egg and lemon mixture back in to the stock pot while stirring constantly. The soup will instantly thicken and become somewhat creamy. Simmer for an additional minute over medium heat stirring constantly.
Remove the bay leaf, taste and adjust the seasoning with additional pepper, and salt if desired.
Serve each bowl with a healthy drizzle of Green Chili Olive Oil